Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fashion Faux Pas

Inspired by my girlfriends, I'm doing a series on fashion faux pas. Some are obvious; others not so much. But the No. 1 is:
 

I'm not shopping until I lose [insert number here] pounds.

Seriously? So, you hate your wardrobe, but you're going to feel frumpy until sometime next year when you lose weight?
[Disclaimer: Adrea you do not look frumpy!] I hear it all the time. In fact, I used to live it. Then, I figured why not buy for the body I have and feel confident about how I look? Here are my top reasons why you should NEVER wait to dress well.


1. It may never happen OR it may not NEED to happen. I went for years saying I was going to lose 10 pounds, but guess what? I never did. I exercise, I eat right, and I've decided I'm at my happy weight right now. Even if you're not at your happy weight, until you decide to fully commit to eating healthfully and exercising faithfully, the weight will not magically disappear. So, at least you can look good while trying. [Disclaimer: To my friends, this does not mean I don't think you look good, it just means if you're unhappy with your wardrobe, why stay unhappy?]


2. Hello, alterations anyone? I am really shocked when people say they didn't think of having something altered. If you do lose the weight, take your favorite items to a tailor and have them smallered--which isn't a word but it should be ;). 
When I started running, I lost 30 lbs (and have since gained back 15 of it!) I took every classic item of clothing in my closet a few pieces at a time and had them altered to fit. At the time, I couldn't afford a new wardrobe. 
Regardless, how much are you really going to buy in that transition period anyway? Jackets, slouchy/loose tops and other items may not even need alterations if you're only losing 5 lbs.

3. Accessorize, girl! If you're stubborn and still not convinced, then at least invest in some Super Wow accessories. Throw on a necklace with a tee shirt, a cool belt and rock some shoes that make you feel fab. Or, consider stepping out of your box and wearing a hat (Target has some AWESOME ones right now). I love the Mossimo Cloche with Feathers.  Even a sequined headband would add some panache to your look. Wear some colorful shoes and chunky bracelets. 


Designer Paris Gordon (who will be featured on this blog in the coming months) says this, "Style is timeless; fashion is fleeting." So, rather than plan for the life you want to have (like when you're 5, 10, 20 pounds smaller) live in the moment, look fabulous and take this time to find your personal style.

2 comments:

  1. Love it Tracey! You have inspired me to get organized & start shopping regardless of what I want the scale to say. Especially with the holidays coming, because I don't want to look or feel frumpy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great piece, I feel like you were talking directly to me! I have started cutting out outfits in magazines that I like the look of and hope to go shopping and put my own look together. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete