Monday, September 20, 2010

3 Fall/Winter Closet Investments


When I look at my go-to pieces of clothing for Fall, a few items pop up over and over. Here are my recommendations for your three casual Fall/Winter must have investments. Notice I said investments--they will cost you some cash, but if you buy classic styles (not trendy), they will last you for years.

1. Black pants. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I hear you. It's on everyone's list. But, a great fitting, bootcut pair of black trousers is a necessity. I have invested in pants by Theory over the years. Yes, they're expensive if you buy them new. But, not if you ebay them! Click here for an ebay search on Theory pants: Click Here.

I have a few pairs that have lasted me more than 7 years already. They are a perfect travel- weight trouser in a non-wrinkle poly/lycra blend. Don't want to buy on ebay? Gap has some awesome pants right now. I got mine free...yes free! Because I'm a BR cardholder I got a promotion in the mail that if I tried on a pair of the pants, I would get them free. I suggest the Perfect Trouser or the Modern Boot. I actually got the True Straight. Get them here.

Here are my favorite Theory pants, click here. Search for them on ebay. They do run a little narrow in the thigh, but fit pretty true to size otherwise. Go to Bloomies, Neimans, Nordstroms or Saks and try on a few pairs, write down the style info and size, then search ebay. They run long, so you'll probably need to have them hemmed. I have one pair hemmed for flats and another left long for heels. Hint: If you wear pants with heels, make sure the hems graze the floor to avoid looking like you're wading through flood waters.

2. Leather jacket. OK, I told you I had a bit of a "thing" for leather clothing. And, no I don't mean that way, so get your mind out of the gutter. :) A true investment piece is a leather jacket. Don't go for a trendy style. I suggest you get a blazer style or simple fitted jacket. Black is always a go-to color, but I find myself reaching for a red Isabella Bird jacket (11 years old!) and a caramel colored Ann Taylor jacket (8 years old!) more often than not. A fitted style looks just as good with a skirt as it does with jeans or pants. I even throw mine on over dresses. And, when I worked in an office, I would wear the leather jacket as a suit jacket.

3. Boots. Two must-buys: flat knee-high boots and high-heeled ankle boots. You can wear the flat boots with a pair of jeans or slim pants/leggings tucked in or with a casual dress. The ankle boots fancy up your pants, look great with tights and dresses/skirts and can be worn with trouser jeans for a night on the town. Some of my favorites are:

1. The pretty ruffle boot from Banana Republic Click Here

2. The Cecile Cap Toe Bootie from Ann Taylor Click Here

3. The Peter Over the Knee Riding Boot from Ann Taylor Loft Click Here

All of these can be had for 40% off if you wait for the sale coupons. I think Ann Taylor is currently running a 40% off promo.

Of course, I have a whole list of must-haves for your wardrobe, but these three items, along with some accessories such as statement necklaces, scarves and belts, will truly transform many of your outfits from blah to fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. OK - You've got me hooked! If only I could sit and find the time to find all the great things you do! You could become my personal shopper :) Great article.

    ReplyDelete